Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Gearing Up for School

School starts back on Monday the 18th. Meghan is eagerly counting down the days. We have finished her back to school shopping. I do not think we are missing anything. This year it looks like Meghan's principal in no longer at the the school which is disappointing. This principal knew just about all the students names and faces on site. She seemed to feel that it was equally important to recognize the good or quiet students and let them know she was aware of them and their existence. With a school population of over 1000 students, I find that to be a remarkable feat.
Last night we went to that W store and finished off the one or two things I did not have. We are thinking about letting her take her lunch to school some this year which meant that we had to pick out a lunch box because the one we had that someone gave her in kindergarten she was worried that someone would make fun of her for having. So we are standing on the aisle with the lunch boxes trying to make a decision. I am there with my 9 year old when another group came up. These girls were high school aged trying to justify to their mother why they needed a "character" lunch box while my daughter is asking my help ion locating a non "babyish" lunch box. The irony of the situation did not escape me or the other mom who was trying to get her girls to pick a more grown up lunch box.
Today we went and had Meghan's hair cut for school. This is the shortest that she has ever agreed but it still long enough to handle pony tails, braids and buns. Unfortunately for Meghan, I cannot french braid so she has to settle for regular braids.
With the return of school, we have to return to our very active schedule. Dance resumes on Tuesday. I have not picked up the lyrical shoes that she needs nor have I purchased ballet shoes. (We did get tights) I am hoping that she has not out grown the tap shoe which were a little big last year. BSYO resumes on the 25th with a kick off on the 16th. the school strings program usually resumes the week after school as well. Busy, busy, busy!!
We are down one driver with my mom looking at knee replacement surgery on both legs this fall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got everything under control. :) Good for her wanting a grown up lunch box. The kids here go to school this coming week as well.