Friday, October 10, 2008

October

With the onset of October we begin the three month long holiday overload. As a kid I enjoyed the haunted houses and the haunted hay rides. I am old enough that the early haunted houses I went to did not have the Friday the 13th influence that became so popular with Jason and chain saw. I feel that the quality of the haunted houses went down after this influence. When I was a cheerleader one of our fundraisers was the creation of a haunted house in the field house. I was around my daughters age when I did this, and it still is prominent in my mind after all these years.

Here in our little corner of the world, our local zoo sponsors a program called BOO at the Zoo. They have several activities for the kids and Meghan has enjoyed it every year. She has always had issues with some of the more "scary" scenarios that they have. She barely handles the haunted train ride. Last year I finally persuaded Meghan to walk the haunted trail with me. I thought the whole thing was hilarious and laughed the entire time we were walking along the trail. The high school kids that were doing this were quite distressed and tried even harder to scare me which made me laugh harder. Meghan informed me tonight that she was not going to go with me through the haunted trail. So I am searching for a new haunted trail partner. Of course we have a few weeks left to convince her that it will be alright. I am very disappointed that these things appear to scare her to the point that she will not share the experience with me.

No comments: