Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Loss of Individual Identity

As a wife and a mother, I have found that my individual identity has become less and less a part of who I am. Up until the the time we moved to Florida, I was Jini and had an identity that was all my own. Once we moved, I began loosing my identity. Alan's job made him very "popular" and everyone in town seemed to know him.
The past couple of years have prompted the final erosion of my individual identity. More and more I am now simply known as Meghan's mom, or aren't you the mother of the little girl that plays violin. It is like the final bastion in motherhood or maybe even the greatest accomplishment of motherhood to cease having an existence outside that of "the mom". I am very proud of everything that Meghan has accomplished; and I am extremely proud of the young lady that has the potential to become. I find it ironic that as females we spend our life trying to find our own identity, only to find that the real satisfaction in our identity comes from being identified through our child and their accomplishments.

No comments: