Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Mrs. D

I have a customer (Mrs. D to protect her privacy even though I do not think she will stumble upon this site) that calls every so often with all kinds of the things that bother her. It started out concerning a check or charge payment that was made while she was in the hospital. I am not sure what her full story is, but I listen to her ramble on about the ills of the world and her current symptoms. I feel real sorry for her and I take the time to let her talk. I wish I was so saintly as to say I am actually listening ( I don't think she really expects me to)but that would be untruthful. I let her talk and get it out of her system. I have been reprimanded more than I care to think about for taking the time to let her talk ( and some of our older employees that live alone), but I cannot just hang up on her (nor can I walk away from them when they seem to need someone to talk to/at). She seems like she is lonely and seems to content to just have someone to talk at.

I wish the person that fusses about me allowing her to talk would think about the fact someday that might be her or someone in her family. I think about that and hope that if someone close to me needs that outlet that there will be someone there to take the time to even pretend to listen. Mrs. D called me three times today and even though I was very busy, I tried to let her talk. Will I get any kind of pat on the back for trying to be sensitive - well no, but I can take away a feeling of satisfaction that for a few moments I made someone feel better by being there to listen. (okay I pretend to listen) Maybe if we all did that we would make the world a slightly better place.

No comments: