Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Did I Miss the Memo?

Working in retail you see really good and really bad, but lately the UGLIES are really outdoing themselves. Here in the "sunny" capitol, the dispositions are anything but "sunny" lately. I believe the current challenge is to see how far they can push before they get you upset and angry. In fact that seems to entertainment to these people. I want to know when it became OK to cuss at me because you are having a bad day and want to make someone else miserable? When did it become OK to make me stop what I am working on because you think it is funny to make me walk around the store because you need to be entertained? When did self service become full service? When did threatening me mean that you would get exactly what you wanted? When did allowing you to verbally, mentally and physically abuse me become an expected part of customer service?

Yes, the UGLIES have been let loose on society, and they making everyone they come in contact with miserable.

Cell phones - oh where do we begin? If you are talking on your self phone but ask me questions then do not automatically assume I know who you are speaking to. If I do not answer you, then I probably assume you talking t0 someone else. If you are in a check out line do not be so busy on the phone that you are not aware that I am trying to assist you and do not get upset because I tell you your total. I am not intentionally interrupting your conversation, I need to ring the next customer. Most of all remember, I really do not care what you are talking about and am not eavesdropping on your conversation - I am simply trying to work and was probably on that aisle before you came by chatting on your phone.

I am sorry we are sold out!! It does not matter how much you yell at me nor how much you cuss at me, I can not produce what is not here. I cannot pull a "rabbit" out of my hat. If I could that then I would not be working here because I would be trying to pull money out of that hat.

Please take a bath!!!!! I cannot provide you with good customer service if I must hold my breath and supress my gag reflex. Soap can be found with the healthcare products.

I want to assist you in finding everything you need; however, do not waste my time asking me to show you were something is and then tell me "Oh, I did not want one I just wanted to know where they were becasue I saw them on the ad on tv.

Most stores but especially discount stores are self serve. That means you come in and YOU GET the items you need and then go to the check out. Our payroll is not budgeted in a manner that allows us to be your personal shopping assistant. I will be happy to show you or direct you to the areas that have the items you need but I CANNOT HELP YOU CHOOSE. Also do not assume that I am expert on every item in the store - that is simply UNREASONABLE. When I tell you I do not know you must assume in that at least I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!

Why is it acceptable for you to call me names or slam your fist on the counter at me? Why is that your right as a customer. I would not tolerate this at home so why am expected to at work? I cannot give you cash back without a receipt. The register does not give me that option - I am sorry but it must be on a merchandise credit. No I will not purchase the card from you. I do not need or want it. It is not my responsibility to make up the difference when you do not have enough money. If I had money to hand out willy nilly then I would not be working here. It totally unacceptable for you to ask the customer behind you for money when I tell you I do not have money to give you.

When you have to stand in a small line to purchase something - it is not our fault completely. We are given x amount to run the store on and there for we attempt schedule accordingly based off of sakes trends. That means that sometimes there are only two people in the store to assist you. Try carrying out furniture which according to the box requires at least 2 people by yourself. We do the best we can with the limited resourses that we are given. I like it even less than you do!

This is not aimed at the many great people I have encountered in my "career". There are many that know me by name, ask how I am and treat me well. But the UGLIES have been out a whole bunch lately.

No comments: