Thursday, February 14, 2008

When are you too old...

When exactly do you become too old for something? That is a question that I confronted this weekend. Meghan and I were at my store where I found this really cute brown corduroy short (mini) skirt. I tried it on and found it to be too big which was terrific. Upon seeing that I was indeed thinking about getting the skirt anyway, Meghan informed me that I was too old to wear the skirt. While I agree that there are things I might think twice about purchasing, I was set to puchase the skirt to SPITE Meghan once she said I was too old. In the end, I decided not to get the skirt not because of Meghan's statement but because it was too big. I began thinking about finding a skirt primarily to annoy Meghan. Today Kelli gave me a really cute skirt that will fill the bill admirably. Now the one that Kelli gave me is great with shorts built in to it so I can wear it comfortably in public. I told Meghan about it being a mini skirt. I told her that I would wear it the next day that I was off and took her to school. To say she had a fit was an undestatement.

This whole thing brings to mind the question When are you too old? This some to my mind several times since she said this. Her response was the same when I decided to take the adult dance class at the studio she dances at. I want to know when exactly I became too old. Yes I will wear the short skirt at some point simply for the fun of SPITING Meghan. So exaactly When are you too old....? What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Dianne said...

You're never too old. Now, there is a difference between good taste versus enthusiasm. I'm talking about the joie de vive, the energy of living daily. Just because we age, doesn't qualify us for an entry on the Antique Roadshow of life. Meghan's comment, while humorous from the mouth of a child, reminds me of the bible verse- when I was a child I thought and spoke as a child. Now I am an adult - I can view people, how they interact with the world and those around me, through mature, ripened, developed, evolved, mellowed, seasoned, sophisticated - but definitely not old - understanding.